Project Lyttelton is a non-profit grassroots organisation committed to building sustainable, connected community. We aim to "be the change we wish to see in the world" (a quote attributed to Gandhi).
Through a range of innovative projects, PL is harnessing the power of community and fostering hope and inspiration to create a collective future. Our values-based approach is inclusive and participative - we recognise all people have intrinsic value.
Some of our projects include; supporting local food production, minimising waste and creating ways to re-use, reduce and recycle, creating opportunities for people to come together to play, share information and skills, and the initiatives continue grow!
- Love Lyttelton - Local News & Events Facebook Page
- Lyttelton Farmers Market - Weekly market on London St - voted best in New Zealand
- Lyttelton Harbour TimeBank - Trade skills in trade for "Hours", a sort of local currency
- Lyttelton Harbour Festival of Lights - Very popular winter party on London Street attracting thousands
- Harbour Harvest Festival - Celebrate all the harbour grows & preserves
- Banks Peninsula Walking Festival - Week long packed schedule of guided walks around the Peninsula
- Lyttelton SummerFest - Summer Festival of arts & education
- Project Lyttelton Waste Matters - Reducing & managing waste that would otherwise go to landfill in Lyttelton Harbour
- Community Grown Dinner - Pledge to grow food for the event, then enjoy a meal with other growers cooked by our nationally acclaimed cook Giulio Sturla from Roots
Other Projects (without Facebook Pages)
- The Garage Sale - Community wide garage sale where local community groups can book a Garage Sale day to raise funds, while cycling used gear through the community
- Grow Harbour Kids - School & Preschool program to grow, harvest, and cook that food with kids at harbour schools & preschools
- Community Garden - Grow food alongside other community members, learn how to garden
- Lift Library - Wide range of books available on a lifelong membership, community library with flexible loan times
- Spring Festival of Change - Challenge yourself to a new initiative in waste minimisation, environment, wellbeing and/or food
- Collett's Corner - Oxford Street x London Street community park area with a pump bike track, busking area, and Harbour Bazaar (Saturdays)
- Welcome Bags - Community made reusable shopping bags given to new Lyttelton residents filled with local information & goodies & local seeds from the Community Garden
- Harbour Vouchers - Gift Voucher program for all local businesses - great for Holiday gifts as recipients can use them at any participating local business - last count had 33 local businesses participating!
- Lyttelton Fruit & Vege Collective - Cheap, bulk fruit & veggies from local growers
- Hungry Bin Worm Farms - Sale of large specialised worm farms that can process up to 2kg of kitchen waste a day and are on wheels for easy moving.
- Lyttelton Coffee Cups - Replacing disposable cups with reusable ones for local coffee shops & the Farmer's Market - and managing these cups, while also helping local coffee companies to use biodegradable or properly recyclable take away cups.